Saturday, June 15, 2013

Working for free

For those of you who don't know, I am Jane Labowitch. I'm an alumni who graduated from FHS back in 09, and I most recently graduated from the American Academy of Art in Chicago a little more than a month ago.

For my entire life I've been a student, and now I'm not. Now I have a spiffy new BFA degree in...Illustration. That's fine and dandy, but the only problem is...I've been searching online for a job this last month in art, and it seems the only work out there is for graphic/web designers. I consider myself pretty fortunate though, because I happen to enjoy both of these things. It's kind of a catch 22, though. These jobs want you to already have experience in the field, but how can I get experience if I haven't had a job in the field yet??? Check out this doozy of a job (as quoted directly from my most recent facebook status):

Pay: This is a pro bono (volunteer) position
This is "a 3-5 hour commitment each week over the course of approximately 6 months."
Experience: At least 3 years

This legitimately angers me on multiple levels. For one, this "job" is asking for someone who has extensive experience in the design field to do consistent work for free. For FREE! Ah! Come on! I just dropped over 100k on a degree in art, and there are people out there who have the audacity to ask that I work for free???

On a related note, check out this infographic, designed by renowned designer/illustrator Jessica Hische:

What I like about this infographic is that it clearly defines when it is and when it isn't okay to work for free. As a recent graduate, I really can't afford to just do art for free. I've got some scary government officials that will be knocking on my door in a couple months demanding I start paying my loans back. I've got rent to pay and groceries to buy.

So why is it that people are okay with asking artists to do work for free, where as it's unthinkable to ask, say, a doctor to do work for free? I think it's one of those societal issues, where people think that artists jump for joy at the next opportunity to draw a pretty picture, and no real labor is involved. No one doubts that a doctor has to labor. I think pretty much everyone agrees that med school sounds like a difficult endeavor. But art school? Nah. "Don't you just draw pictures all day?" "Cool, your homework is a painting. I wish I could paint for my homework." Upon graduating, I think I can safely say I pulled the same number of all-nighters as many other students pursuing different degrees. And let me tell you--when you're working on that same piece that you've been working on all last week and it's 4am and it's due at 8am, you better believe it's work!!!

Alas, my lofty rant has run its course. By no means do I want to end this on a negative note--as a recent graduate, I know it's going to be hard to get that first job. It's probably still going to take a while. And though I am in a giant pile of debt, I don't regret my decision to go to art school. Right now I could have some degree in whatever topical employment opportunity is out there floating dollar signs in the air, but at the end of the day I just wanted to create. My bank account weeps for my loss, but I don't think I'll be weeping with it.

7 comments:

  1. How do you price your work? Its hard for me to name a price in commissions. I'd love some advice as to how other artists gauge how much they charge for their time and products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother in law, who is wildly talented, holds his VERY EXPENSIVE BFA from CCS and this is topic of regular conversation for us. It's so frustrating because I know how hard he works and labors to create his art and the fact that people legitimately have the audacity to ask him to work "pro bono" is just infuriating to me. This is the exact reason I work for myself, I know what I deserve to be paid ;) Seriously though, this was a great post and I love the use of the infographic!! Good luck on your search!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite a schpeel for this. It was/may be going to be a blog post for me. Used to be, years ago, cover your supplies and time. Now the time thing got hairy for me. I had a flat rate of $15 an hour. But, because of my skill and speed, I'd be done in an hour or less....$15 for that piece?! That cost me big time.

    1. It is your experience....your education and experiences that drive the prices. If you are in HS then obviously lower, then some college, some college art courses, then college art degrees, other sold pieces, shows, masters...etc.

    2. Supplies, media have to be covered, Then think supply/demand. Who else has this skill?

    3. BUT HERE IT IS........Ask yourself, what price are YOU comfortable letting go of a piece? What is a fair price for you to NEVER see something again. I'm guilty, oh so guilty of pieces out there that they got for a steal. I have been taken advantage of when I was younger, and dumber. Bid higher and say "maybe work something out.." Lowering to your comfortable price. Letting people know true worth, they would be SHOCKED!

    "Everything has its price"
    "Hey how much for your favorite jacket?" $30? $50? $100? $500?...boom sold. Find that happy price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once told by an experienced painter based out of Chicago the 10 commandments of being a working artist. NEVER give away your work was two of the commandments.
    It's hard... How can you get work if you don't have work, and how can you have work if you aren't working.

    Pricing is always tricky. I'm not sure how things in the illustration world go, but with fine arts, not only are you taking into consideration supplies and time, but also most galleries take 30-50% commission.

    I have some friends who do freelance illustration, and when they describe what their life is like, it's like talking to a panhandler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a good video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R2a8TRSgzZY

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo