Friday, July 5, 2013

A Little Bit of Process

Alright, so I have neglected to be very active on The JAR lately and I feel bad about it... So, since I have something new that I am working on and can show, I decided to reveal some of my imperfect, ever-changing process.  Please, bear with me on this.

In reality, everything starts on paper with random, unfocused sketches and doodles.  None of which are pictured here.  I have a few pages of heads and faces that I was playing with before becoming interested in one that had an old, worn, and rather royal feel to it.  So I drew it some more in different angles and positions until finally deciding on a simple profile.  I wanted to keep it simple since I intended to try out some new brushes in my work.

Once I had a rough idea, I jumped into Photoshop and continued where I left off on paper.  I redrew the head again using my pencil drawing as a reference.  Only this time I planned out a body for it as well.  I had trouble deciding on a pose and what style armor he should have.  At one point I played around with a sci-fi theme but I quickly dropped it.  Eventually decided on something more basic like what a barbarian might wear.

Two of the better body sketches.
Once I made a decision, I then worked on refining the pose.  His balance was off and the legs seemed somewhat stiff and unnatural.  Adding more/darker lines to what I liked and whiting out areas that I didn't want worked well for me here.  I also noted what I need to take reference for, namely his hands and ears among other things.
Refining the sketch.
Next it's time to work out a color pallet.  From the beginning I wanted something cool and blue so that's where I started.  I tried out several shades and hues before settling on a muted teal as a base.
Picking out a base tone.
From there it was a matter of deciding on a skin-tone and other color shapes.  I liked the idea of red skin in an icy environment.  This stage is very rough and messy.  Staying inside the lines is not a priority: I just want to work out what colors work well and where.  Once I have a basic understanding of what I want I then start laying in blocks of value.  I decided that a gradient going from light to dark helped focus the eye on the sword and his head as well.
Playing around with shapes and colors.
In order to help me pay attention to value groupings, I place a black/white filter over top the image and periodically turn it on to get an idea of what the image would look like as a greyscale.  I also add a dot of black and white and move it around for comparison.  Proper value depth is a problem of mine that I still struggle with so I tend to check this often.  I also regularly flip the painting horizontally.  This is to aid in spotting defects in the painting such as poor figure balance, lopsided anatomy, or a lopsided composition in general.
Value comparison.
Finally, this is where the painting stands as of this post.  I recently edited a brush to give me two-tone and really speckly strokes to help add some texture since most of my paintings turn out looking really smooth like clay.  It's not a perfect integration yet, but I rather like it and think it's something that I am going to stick with.  Now it is time to take a break from working on his head and move to other areas to help prevent the risk of over-working his face.  I still need to add the darkest-darks and lightest-lights to the painting.  Those will come later.
Where I am as of this posting.

Head detail showing texture brush.

Alright, so here is the 'finish'.  It is pretty likely that I will go into this again some time in the future, but for now I am moving on!  Check out this and other works of mine on my blog: Zachary Wojnar Illustration.
Final result.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is amazing. In school I've worked in photoshop quite a bit, fonts, comic page coloring, photographic edits, general editing, a little vectoring, but nothing like this. This is amazing! I love seeing the process, that really helps give an idea of how things start and move forward with a piece. The brush texture, particularly in the last pictures are gorgeous, particularly the strokes on his pelt cape - you can really tell it's made of fur and it looks like it would be soft and fluffy to the touch. The detail on his face and hair is just as amazing, he looks weather beaten, which I would imagine would happen in such a cold climate. The gradient was an excellent idea as well and the flipping of the composition is a great tip.
    When working in photoshop, how do you manage your layers? Do you use layers or do you color on the color channels in the CMYK mode? Do you use pure color mixing or is black mixed in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks a lot. Photoshop is a wonderfully versatile program. It can be used for all kinds of projects.

      I try my best to use as few layers as possible. I know a lot of people who feel the opposite, but I always get confused when I end up with fifty layers and it has a habit of slowing my computer down. Right now this painting has ten layers. I might merge some of them down soon since I will no longer be working on them but instead on layers above them. However, whenever I merge groups of layers I make a new save file so that if I ever need to I can jump back to an old layer set and make changes.

      I rarely use Paths or Channels and normally I work in RGB and then convert it later if necessary. There are certain layer effects in Photoshop that can't be used in a CMYK workspace, the Black/White filter being a good example. That leads to some color editing later on if it goes to print, but it is a necessary evil.

      Finally, I try my hardest to never use pure black. It muddies the colors up. Instead I throw in a dark complimentary color to pull the value down. Pure black might pop up from time to time, but it's very rare.

      Delete
  2. Zack, nice profile! I get a sense of Face-Off sketches going on. I like your texture on the skin and head.On your paper sketches, how did you bring in Photoshop? Did you scan your originals and trace? Good start!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case I didn't scan anything. Instead I just redrew what I needed in Photoshop since I never took the paper drawings beyond sketches. However, if I do make a completed drawing before moving on to the computer I will scan it and pull it into Photoshop. Though if you scan it there is no need for tracing. Some simple layer editing will leave you with a nice dark line drawing on its own layer with no white fills (you can see through it). I do this more often on larger, more professional paintings since a better plan is required to show clients.

      Also, there are times when I need a more detailed drawing of single parts of a painting. In those situations I will crop and enlarge the area that I need to refine before printing it out and placing it under tracing paper for some good, old-fashioned pencil drawing. I will then scan that refined drawing and edit it in to the Photoshop file.

      I hope that answers your questions!

      Delete
  3. been really looking to get into this type of digital painting at some point, I have dabbled with it for a little but never got too into it. Questions: How are you setting up your brushes, is the opacity set to 100? or are you changing that in the pen pressure, or just changing the layer? How do have your layers blending mode set up, multiply? normal? also,how are you going about blending in general. Any tricks you use with tablets/or the brush tool that you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, figuring out what brush or combination of brushes work best for you is the hardest part. The best suggestion I can make is to just try different brushes. After you find something you like with the basic brushes, start fooling around with the brush settings and creating your own that better suit your needs.

      For the longest time I just used the basic round brush, though now I use an edited version of the chalk 17 pixels and an edited dry brush in combination. Normally I leave the opacity at 100% and enable pen pressure opacity. Sometimes I will change this if I want to get some really soft color overlay. Setting up the brushes with some sort of opacity variation will help with blending. The best way to blend is to just layer colors then use the color picker to select the blended colors as they are created through the layering. It's a little awkward to try to describe. Maybe I will be able to set up a tutorial one day in the near future.

      I try to use as few layers as possible and almost all of my layers are set to a normal blending mode. Different modes can come in handy, but for most situations normal is what you will end up using. The others work best for adjustments and tuning towards the end of your painting.

      The only tip I can give you when it comes to using a tablet is just repetition. Use it over and over again until you get used to it and find something that is comfortable. If it is a Wacom, it helps to use the tablet's settings to adjust the pressure sensitivity to what you like. That way if you have a really light hand you can still get thick, dark marks without having to press really hard and the opposite works for having a heavy hand.

      Delete

Blogger Template by Clairvo