Friday, May 31, 2013

The Beginning

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here on The Jar, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Olivia, I'm 24 and I was a student of Mr. Rheault's in 2005 and 2006 at which time I took Drawing 1 and 2. My favorite mediums to use on assignments were graphite pencils and oil pastels. At the time I was going through a lot of personal things and Mr. Rheault's classes really gave me the outlet I needed to keep going. So, for my first post I'd like to refer back to one of the pieces I created around that time.

This was a drawing for our sketchbook assignment. It's a portrait of Amanda Palmer, a musician and artist. Some of you may know her as the wife of Neil Gaiman. This sketch was done in graphite pencils, mostly 6B, and was completed in a little over an hour. This was the first time I thought that I could really create art for the rest of my life.

Currently, I'm studying Visual Communication as an e-learning student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. My area of concentration is Sequential Art, or illustration for comics, graphic novels and children's books. Once I graduate I plan on writing and illustrating children's books. Aside from drawing I enjoy creating art in a variety of forms; painting, sculpting, photography, writing, sewing and crafting in general. Eventually I'll probably end up posting something from every area of art I create.

Along with these posts, I'd like to include a work of art or artist that has been inspiring to whether currently or previously. That person is going to be Allie, the person behind Hyperbole and a Half. What I lost most about Allie's posts are that even though she uses humor in her writing and cute drawings, there's almost always something lovely behind the post, something personal and intimate and encouragement for the reader. For the first reads on her page, I'd recommend "Depression Part Two," "The Awkward Situation Survival Guide," and "The Alot is Better Than You at Everything."

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

When was it that you realized you loved art? I'm always interested in what has made a person realize they wanted to create art for a living or make it a part of your life in some way. For me, I've always loved art and creating things but I realized I wanted to make a career in art when I was 16 and took Mr. Rheault's Drawing 1 class. My decision was solidified when I took Drawing 2 the following semester and we began working with color.

There are some really great artists out there, no matter what your age. I'm looking forward to seeing all the upcoming talents here on The Jar. 

16 comments:

  1. I look Forward to it!!
    Thanks for the Post Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Me, too. Did I do something wrong? I'll check in edit and see if there's an area that says "insert link" or something.

      Delete
    2. I fixed it. Some links seem to work while others didn't. When in the edit post window you may have to highlight wht you want linked and click on "link" tab. That's what I did. I've attached the google post about it. I bet it doesn't show as a link in these replies though.

      https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/41379?hl=en&topic=12457#

      Delete
  3. Also love your question "When was it that you realized you loved art? I'm always interested in what has made a person realize they wanted to create art for a living or make it a part of your life in some way." That should be a post? Should I post it on fb? or just hope people comment here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cool with you posting it on facebook if you like. Or a whole post on there, maybe with your reply? That would be interesting for people to leave whole blog posts about how they started getting art into their life.

      Delete
    2. I will soon. The beauty of a blog....we can revisit it many times.

      Delete
    3. Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for it. :)

      Delete
  4. What does sequential art teach? I mean, I know what the goal is, but what are techniques for teaching to the final goal? Exercises? Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequential Art at SCAD really mostly teaches art for comics so there are a lot of exercises and projects that revolve around making short comics and comic panels. Some assignments required the students to create whole comic pages from a script provided by the teacher. One class, Materials and Techniques for Sequential Art, brings in a bunch of the items a person would use such as watercolor (oh my goodness, "Koi" brand is amazing), ink and pen nibs, which is basically caligraphy pens like this:

      http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-cartooning-pen-and-nib-project-set/?clickTracking=true

      Other classes I've taken are Comic Book Scripting, Drawing for Sequential Art and this year I took a digital coloring class. We were provided line art and we practiced coloring on the CMY (cyan, magenta, yellow) channels of the CMYK printing mode in both Photoshop and Illustrator. If you're interested, you can learn more about the program and they classes available here on the website:

      http://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/sequential-art

      Delete
    2. It was very cool! Maybe I'll post some of my work in the future. I don't know, I'm more of an "oil pastels" and "pencils" artist than line art so I feel like I'm kind of a hack doing this kind of stuff. But, I think the digital coloring might be decent enough to post. If anything, at least the assignments would open up a discussion area for tips and techniques.

      Delete
  5. Cool!
    Ya, I'd love to read something on the struggles of being a traditionalist in a world of technology.
    I've always love the various techniques and styles used in children's book illustration things as different as the paper on torn paint collage of the (I think) grasshopper books and the fine pen and ink drawings in a Ailverstein

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know what happened, but I couldn't fix the misspelling of Silverstein or finish my thought.

    Anywho, the differences in illustration techniques is part of what made books fun for me as a kid.
    Ya, there's still different styles, but everything that comes off the computer has the same feel to it. Like how when you see a scene in a movie done in CGI it automatically makes you think of a Pixar film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, I figured you meant Silverstein. But yes, I know what you mean; the differences in children's book art really drew me in as a child as well, and even as an adult. I don't know if I ever read the grasshopper books, could you give me a link so I can check it out? For me, I love the pop-up book work of Robert Sabuda.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTQLGyaOAkc

    And the watercolor work on "The Tale I Told Sasha" is just gorgeous. The illustrations were done by David Christiana. They're beautiful and entrancing.

    http://www.chemersgallery.com/Artview1.asp?Artist=DAVIDCHRISTIANA

    What I've wanted is to bring oil pastels over into children's books. It's a medium I love so much but I'm not sure how well it'll translate. Only one way to find out I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo