Saturday, June 1, 2013

Way out West

So I've known Ro for a few years. I came to observe his classroom when I was getting my teaching certification from EMU. This guy has posters on the ceiling! He hangs quotes from the ceiling! When he needs to get your attention (students), his voice will shake the tiles on the ceiling! Ok, not really, but I was intrigued by his methods, and when I accepted a job out here in northern Nevada, I used a few of his techniques my first year, and they worked! I am now finishing my fourth year of teaching and teach upper classman in the oldest high school in Nevada! Not in Las Vegas. I am six hours north of there, in a rural location. Cowboys come here in January and share stories and art. It's a mining town, too. But I am still using things I learned from Michigan and Mr. Ro and others, applying them to my own methods and getting these kids out here to know and understand art in a high desert community.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and observations. Great Memory! Cowboys talk about their art? High Desert?? Glad to hear from you. Look forward to more posts. I'll be using this blog to as a record some of my units, sch-peels, and thoughts. Hope you do the same.

      Delete
  2. That sounds wonderful. It's great to know that he's inspired not only students but those who have become art teachers as well. I have to ask, do you use Ro-isms in your class? Like, WHERE'S BLACK. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo