Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why Illustration?

To start, my name is Jeff Sant,  I graduated from FHS in 2010. Now I live in Chicago and I'm about to go into my final semester at American Academy Of Art. I'm majoring in illustration, which I love passionately, but when I started school I wanted to study oil painting, and focus on fine art.
I was unedumucated about what illustration was and could be, and so it seemed like a lesser of the arts to me.

However I have come to find out all the images I grew up loving are illustrations. I'm happy with my decision in majors because I really enjoy the process of solving visual problems that a client would be coming to me to solve, and of course I love to draw and paint.

Also, I felt that I was not ready to become a fine artist, I feel young and naive. I didn't want to be producing work that had no purpose. Later in my career I plan on doing more personal fine art type work, but not until I have something in particular that I really want to say.


I currently work in both oil and watercolor, depending on the project. I guess if I had to sum up my work it would bad corky humor with a stylization of the figure. Within the next year I should have a completely new portfolio, so i'm really excited and I'll post some progress with ya'll as I go. 

Next post will be on portrait club as Ro requested. 

Woot woot! 



5 comments:

  1. "I really enjoy the process of solving visual problems that a client would be coming to me to solve" Higher level thinking, problem solving......Illustrating an idea, theme, or story is a tremendous skill. THUS you are TREMENDOUSLY GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your work's always been inspiring, and its very interesting to watch your flickr/instagram to see both smaller sketches and bigger projects coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know the size of these illustration paintings, 16x20", 18x24", 22x28"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both very much that means a lot.
    Mr. Rheault you deserve a lot of credit, a lot of what I know is from listening to your color, perspective, ect. speals multiple times.

    The portraits are usually 12x16 relatively small but there all done in two and a half hours. The illustrations that i spend more time on are slightly larger, like 14x20 depending on what it is. Usually on a half sheet of watercolor paper.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo