Friday, May 31, 2013

To Drip, or not to Drip...

I have spent the last ten years of my life trying to create the cleanest, flattest, shiniest, least brushstrokey paintings possible. I have been more inspired by the front of a dishwasher, a gas station pump, the sign at Kroger, a lunch tray, than anything in a museum, nature, or issues in politics.
I am still tongue in cheek. I am still flat. I am still plexiglass. I am still countertop laminate, masking tape, spray paint, and polyurethane.




But I have discovered the drip.

I have known about it for years. Always rejected it.
Abstract expressionism? Stop it.

But then I dripped.

It started by accident.
Not the Jackson Pollock "I just dripped paint on the floor, OMG it looks so cool I have to try this on a giant ass canvas and make some totally amazeballs, completely moving paintings" type of accident.
But one of those "I have a student who is a senior and going into UofM's design school who is really good, has a great eye for composition but is totally restricted and scared to get out of her shell, OMG lets collaborate and I'll do everything to your work you would be too scared to ever do like spray paint, stencil, drip paint, and cover your work with drawings" type of accident.
It looked like this.

It excites me.
Excited like I haven't been in a while about anything I've done.

So I had to try it on my own.
I'm uncomfortable.
I'm unsure of myself.
It's opposite of what I'm used to.
I'm not in control.
I'm in progress.
It's still me...
But weird alternate universe me...


6 comments:

  1. OUTSTANDING John / Mr. Hicks.

    The daily push of "Fearlessness" rules my day. Some students (most) so tentative. Most don't "want to ruin my good stuff" or "I've spent so much time on this".

    Over the last 2 years I have failed at ALLOWING drip work. They are stag-net, stale, weak...and EASY. cliche! But to "incorporate" the drip is the key.

    (See my http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinart/4834616508/in/set-72157601332773946 US Quarters)

    Great job in "pushing" and oh how it can motivate yourself! Your piece is strong.

    I say, as always with drip work, (one of my techniques), "MORE".

    MORE layers....MORE MORE!!! I shout!
    Be fearless Hicks. GREAT POST! Love ya.

    http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78386

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like an LSD fueled Warhol broke into the MOMA and fucked up a Rothko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second piece with the scissors under the nails has effective given me the "AAAHHHH!" feeling. You know that feeling when you know nothings crawling on you bit it really feels like it? The bone curling uncomfortable feeling just after the scrape of a fork on a plate or nails on a chalkboard? That's was the second pieces makes me feel. As far as I'm concerned, excellent job; art should makes us feel, even if it's uncomfortable.

    As for your exercise in drip painting, I've found it can be difficult to do such things as well. I'm not used to spray paint and stencils, but your piece makes me want to give this a try; despite the blue and white background and the drips, the image looks clean and organized somehow. Organized chaos, I suppose.

    Also I absolutely approve of your use of "amazeballs."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, ps, thanks, and thanks.
    Glad it creeped you out.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo