Sunday, June 2, 2013

Post College

I thought I'd talk a little about my experiences after college. It's been a hard adjustment having to deal with the "real" world and trying to figure out where my degree (BFA in Photography) fits into all of this. I've been a college grad for 2 years now and it hasn't been easy. I went to CCS and I really loved college, which I think is what made it harder for me to figure things out after I left.




I've always loved photographing people. In college I realized that was the direction I wanted to focus towards. My senior thesis was based on contemporary lifestyle portraits/fashion. Since graduating I've realized that although I may not be shooting models on a weekly basis but I can try to apply the same methods to photographing families, weddings, ect. And I think it's been working. Each year since I started photographing families and events my client based has doubled. I give a lot of credit to Facebook which has pretty much helped me obtain 90% of my clients, that and word of mouth.



I NEVER thought I'd be shooting weddings AND liking it. I always kind of thought photographing weddings was for amateurs but I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only is it a great money maker, it's actually a lot of fun to document. When shooting weddings I try to add my own style. I stick to what I like and what I know. I enjoy natural light, film-esk looks and interesting compositions. Just because it's a wedding doesn't mean it needs to be cliche.

Anyways, I guess to sum up my first post on this thing I want to say I'm happy now with where I'm at photography wise as a post grad. All I can do is keep pushing out work and have fun while doing it. As long as I'm photographing people and making them happy, that's what matters most!

1 comment:

  1. "I really loved college, which I think is what made it harder for me to figure things out after I left." - That is ALWAYS scary and uncomfortable...some of us didn't leave college for a long time. (not sure that apply's in today's economy though)

    "When shooting weddings I try to add my own style. I stick to what I like and what I know. I enjoy natural light, film-esk looks and interesting compositions." - A Personal Creative Style YOU HAVE! and it's OUTSTANDING.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo