Monday, June 10, 2013

The best kind of therapy

I am a huge believer of art being an amazing kind of therapy.  My Great Grandma has always been into ceramics, as have I. When I started working at a ceramics shop, my Grandma was living with my Uncle and eventually went into an assisted living home for seniors. It's an apartment for seniors where they are able to do whatever they want but they have the help when they need it.

I started visiting her once a week on my day off and was known as the craft lady always bringing her something to keep her busy. I was the only one who could get her up and moving, staying awake and talking, after all she is 98 and wants nothing more then to sleep and have some of Curt's coffee (her favorite). Eventually my best friend and her daughter started coming with me, which Grandma adores. And we always have crafts for them to do.

We've painted ceramics and made aprons for them (which they wore all day) and have done plenty of drawing and playing with stickers. Every time we come she always lites up and is ready to learn the next craft. Telling everyone what we've done with a big smile.

Working with your hands keeps your mind moving, as well as working on your coordination, even for those who aren't very mobile anymore. It gives everyone something to smile about everytime they see it hanging on their bedroom wall as well as something to talk about with those visiting.

My Great Grandma has made me a true believer of art therapy and has given me many memories, which I will always be able to remember.

4 comments:

  1. my senior year in highschool I had a mute student who was cognitively impaired and had abusive parents, he wouldnt talk other than nodding his head, until I got to work with him. I was exceptionally patient with him and just talked to him even though he wouldnt reply and converse, but I would always ask about his work (I was in charge of the cognitively impaired student's art class as a student assistant) and although he wouldnt say words he communicated eventually. and he did it all through drawing. After months of working with him, when I'd ask him how his day was, he'd draw it for me. It was nothing groundbreaking but I found a kid who felt trapped in his head and wouldnt communicate a way to express himself and it was one of the best moments of my life. art therapy is awesome. I never would have guessed someone so quiet had so much to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Two great stories I can relate to at the moment! My mother is currently in assisted living, and I have had the pleasure of teaching students in my first two years of teaching with special needs of some sort. You guys rock! Thanks for sharing how art lives in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art isn't just a run of the mill equation... its a way to express yourself without words but to visually tell everyone how you feel. Everyone needs art in their lives! Thanks for sharing all your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. Art therapy is an amazing thing and I know it's helped me considerably. I loved hearing about your great Grandma; it brought back memories of my Grandma. She couldn't do too much once she got older but she always found the energy to sew. She would adjust my outfits and hem things for me as well as adjust dresses for herself. Before that she would make whole dresses for herself and it helped her to continue sewing. Art therapy in many forms can be so helpful. Actually, for my final project in my psychology class I did a powerpoint about art therapy. It's a very interesting subject!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo